Simple Tips to Make your Job Search Successful
Searching for a job is never easy, and is that much more difficult in our current economy. But with patience and hard work, it can be done. JF&CS has helped place hundreds of people in jobs over the past few years. In addition to our job database, we have career counselors who can help guide you through your search as well as a variety of programs and services for job seekers. In the meantime, here are just a few tips for job seekers straight from our job developers.
- NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK! You know the saying about who you know? It’s often true. Set a goal to get three new business cards at every networking meeting.
- Schedule informational interviews.
- Create an “office” where you can conduct your job search business, and use it to stay organized.
- Develop a systematic search strategy and stick with it.
- Make sure you have a well written, customized, up-to-date resume posted on LinkedIn and that can be targeted for specific positions.
- Come up with an attention-grabbing elevator speech.
- Join job search support groups.
- Practice interview techniques.
- Always, always, always send a strong, compelling thank you note (via email typically) within 24 hours of an interview. Do this every step of the way, for every person you meet.
- Prepare for each interview by doing research, practicing answers to interview questions and coming up with strong questions.
- Always close an interview by reiterating your interest in the job and asking about next steps.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Finally, attend the JF&CS Employment Workshop Series! We are here to help you through this process!